1. the LORD said to Moses and Eleazar; son of Aaron the priest,
2. “Take a census, by ancestral houses, throughout the community of the Israelites of all those of twenty years or more who are fit for military service in Israel.”
3. So on the plains of Moab along the Jericho stretch of the Jordan, Moses and the priest Eleazar registered
4. those of twenty years or more, as the LORD had commanded Moses. The Israelites who came out of the land of Egypt were as follows:
5. Of Reuben, the first-born of Israel, the Reubenites by clans were: through Hanoch the clan of the Hanochites, through Pallu the clan of the Palluites,
6. through Hezron the clan of the Hezronites, through Carmi the clan of the Carmites.
7. These were the clans of the Reubenites, of whom forty-three thousand seven hundred and thirty men were registered.
8. From Pallu descended Eliab,
9. and the descendants of Eliab were Dathan and Abiram-the same Dathan and Abiram, councilors of the community, who revolted against Moses and Aaron (like Korah’s band when it rebelled against the LORD).
10. The earth opened its mouth and swallowed them as a warning (Korah too and the band that died when the fire consumed two hundred and fifty men.
11. The descendents of Korah, however, did not die out).
12. The Simeonites by clans were: through Nemuel the clan of the Nemuelites, through Jamin the clan of the Jaminites, through Jachin the clan of the Jachinites,
13. through Sohar the clan of the Soharites, through Shaul the clan of the Shaulites.
14. These were the clans of the Simeonites, of whom twenty-two thousand two hundred men were registered.
15. The Gadites by clans were: through Zephon the clan of the Zephonites, through Haggi the clan of the Haggites, through Shuni the clan of the Shunites,
16. through Ozni the clan of the Oznites, through Eri the clan of the Erites,
17. through Arod the clan of the Arodites, through Areli the clan of the Arelites.
18. These were the clans of the Gadites, of whom forty thousand five hundred men were registered.
19. The sons of Judah who died in the land of Canaan were Er and Onan.
20. The Judahites by clans were: through Shelah the clan of the Shelahites, through Perez the clan of the Perezites, through Zerah the clan of the Zerahites.
21. The Perezites were: through Hezron the clan of the Hezronites, through Hamul the clan of the Hamulites.
22. These were the clans of Judah, of whom seventy-six thousand five hundred men were registered.
23. The Issacharites by clans were: through Tola the clan of the Tolaites, through Puvah the clan of the Puvahites,
24. through Jashub the clan of the Jashubites, through Shimron the clan of the Shimronites.
25. These were the clans of Issachar, of whom sixty-four thousand three hundred men were registered.
26. The Zebulunites by clans were: through Sered the clan of the Seredites, through Elon the clan of the Elonites, through Jahleel the clan of the Jahleelites.
27. These were the clans of the Zebulunites, of whom sixty thousand five hundred men were registered.
28. The sons of Joseph were Manasseh and Ephraim.
29. The Manassehites by clans were: through Machir the clan of the Machirites, through Gilead, a descendant of Machir, the clan of the Gileadites.
30. The Gileadites were: through Abiezer the clan of the Abiezrites, through Helek the clan of the Helekites,
31. through Asriel the clan of the Asrielites, through Shechem the clan of the Shechemites,
32. through Shemida the clan of the Shemidaites, through Hepher the clan of the Hepherites.
33. Zelophehad, son of Hepher, had no sons, but only daughters, whose names were Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah and Tirzah.
34. These were the clans of Manasseh, of whom fifty-two thousand seven hundred men were registered.
35. The Ephraimites by clans were: through Shuthelah the clan of the Shuthelahites, through Becher the clan of the Bechrites, through Tahan the clan of the Tahanites.
36. The Shuthelahites were: through Eran the clan of the Eranites.
37. These were the clans of the Ephraimites, of whom thirty-two thousand five hundred men were registered. These were the descendants of Joseph by clans.
38. The Benjaminites by clans were: through Bela the clan of the Belaites, through Ashbel the clan of the Ashbelites, through Ahiram the clan of the Ahiramites,
39. through Shupham the clan of the Shuphamites, through Hupham the clan of the Huphamites.
40. The descendants of Bela were Arad and Naaman: through Arad the clan of the Aradites, through Naaman the clan of the Naamanites.
41. These were the Benjaminites by clans, of whom forty-five thousand six hundred men were registered.
42. The Danites by clans were: through Shuham the clan of the Shuhamites. These were the clans of Dan,
43. of whom sixty-four thousand four hundred men were registered.
44. The Asherites by clans were: through Imnah the clan of the Imnites, through Ishvi the clan of the Ishvites, through Beriah the clan of the Beriites,
45. through Heber the clan of the Heberites, through Malchiel the clan of the Malchielites.
46. The name of Asher’s daughter was Serah.
47. These were the clans of Asher, of whom fifty-three thousand four hundred men were registered.
48. The Naphtalites by clans were: through Jahzeel the clan of the Jahzeelites, through Guni the clan of the Gunites,
49. through Jezer the clan of the Jezerites, through Shillem the clan of the Shillemites.
50. These were the clans of Naphtali, of whom forty-five thousand four hundred men were registered.
51. These six hundred and one thousand seven hundred and thirty were the Israelites who were registered.
52. The LORD said to Moses,
53. “Among these groups the land shall be divided as their heritage in keeping with the number of individuals in each group.
54. To a large group you shall assign a large heritage, to a small group a small heritage, each group receiving its heritage in proportion to the number of men registered in it.
55. But the land shall be divided by lot, as the heritage of the various ancestral tribes.
56. As the lot falls shall each group, large or small, be assigned its heritage.”
57. The Levites registered by clans were: through Gershon the clan of the Gershonites, through Kohath the clan of the Kohathites, through Merari the clan of the Merarites.
58. These also were clans of Levi: the clan of the Libnites, the clan of the Hebronites, the clan of the Mahlites, the clan of the Mushites, the clan of the Korahites. Among the descendants of Kohath was Amram,
59. whose wife was named Jochebed. She also was of the tribe of Levi, born to the tribe in Egypt. To Amram she bore Aaron and Moses and their sister Miriam.
60. To Aaron were born Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar.
61. But Nadab and Abihu died when they offered profane fire before the LORD.
62. The total number of male Levites one month or more of age, who were registered, was twenty-three thousand. They were not registered with the other Israelites, however, for no heritage was given them among the Israelites.
63. These, then, were the men registered by Moses and the priest Eleazar in the census of the Israelites taken on the plains of Moab along the Jericho stretch of the Jordan.
64. Among them there was not a man of those who had been registered by Moses and the priest Aaron in the census of the Israelites taken in the desert of Sinai.
65. For the LORD had told them that they would surely die in the desert, and not one of them was left except Caleb, son of Jephunneh, and Joshua, son of Nun.
1. the LORD said to Moses and Eleazar; son of Aaron the priest,